.

Fire Guts a Home On High Meadow Road

A fire gutted a house at 15 High Meadow Road on Monday evening. Firefighter Kevin Catalano said it started in the basement at around 4:55 p.m. and quickly got out of control spreading into the dining room upstairs.

One firefighter fell through the dining room floor that had burned away, but was able to smash a sliding glass door and pull himself out of a hole to safety, according to Catalano.

Monroe Fire Chief Bill Davin said another firefighter injured his hand.

The homeowner, who called 911, made it out of his house safely and Davin said no residents were hurt.

Catalano said it took about 30 to 40 minutes to get the fire under control and about two-and-a-half hours to put it out completely. Crews were will still venting smoke from the house at 8 p.m.

Of fighting a fire in the basement, Davin said, "It was tough to get to with the hidden pockets."

All three town fire companies responded — Monroe, Stepney and Stevenson — and Catalano said a crew from White Hills responded to back them up at the scene. A total of five engines, a ladder and a rescue truck responded to the call.

This fire is on the heels of a fatal blaze on Osborne Lane Sunday.

"That fire was accidental," said Davin, who is also the town fire marshal. "This one is still under investigation."

Davin said the Osborne Lane fire was caused by a grease fire on the stove. The investigation of the High Meadow Road won't begin in earnest until tomorrow, he added.

Catalano said, "This is our busy time of the year, unfortunately. More people are using their furnaces, cooking on wood burning stoves and using candles."

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »