Name: Jerry Stevens
Occupation: Retired Teacher
Political party: Democrat
Running for: Tax Collector
Why are you running?
For me, it is a matter of offering a different perspective. I have lived in Monroe my entire life, have been a public servant here my whole adult life, and am excited to be a candidate for Tax Collector.
What are the three biggest issues facing Monroe?
- Infrastructure/Town Properties
- Economic Development
- Budget decisions and priorities/Long term planning
What can the tax collector do to keep the town in the right direction?
- Create and maintain a transparent operation of our tax collector’s office.
- Promote an effective informational exchange between taxpayers and town hall.
- Maintain a courteous environment and manner.
- Explore options for our town, residents and businesses related to social services, grants, and state resources.
What skills and attributes make you a good fit for tax collector?
I am a facilitator, an educator, a great listener, a negotiator, and a problem-solver. I was distinguished as Monroe Teacher of the Year in 2006 for my dedication and hard work ethic. These are innate and learned characteristics that I have honed and perfected over my years of service to Monroe that will enable me to serve you as your Tax Collector.