Trumbull Woman Accused of Going Shoplifting

Police arrested a woman for allegedly shoplifting at Big Y, investigated a suspicious piece of luggage and resolved a case of harassing phone calls.

The following information was supplied by the Monroe Police Department. No arrested person is guilty until so judged in a court of law.

Shoplifting Arrest

A Trumbull woman was arrested Thursday for allegedly trying to steal $35.86 worth of groceries from Big Y supermarket, 535 Monroe Turnpike.

Jessica Ligouri, 36, of Crocus Lane was charged with sixth-degree larceny and released on a promise to appear in court on Aug. 24.

A loss prevention officer told police he was watching surveillance footage and saw Ligouri "selecting and concealing multiple items" before passing all points of purchase without attempting to pay.


Interested in Monroe's news, events, community bulletins, blogs and businesses? Sign up for the free Monroe Patch daily newsletter, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.


Police said Ligouri cooperated when confronted by the loss prevention officer and waited for police to arrive. Based on officer's statement, Ligouri was arrested, according to the report.

If You See Something ...

A florist at Big Y supermarket called police when she saw a piece of luggage left unattended by the doors for a long period of time Thursday night.

Police officers investigated and determined there was nothing dangerous in the suitcase. Using identification on the luggage police contacted the owner's father in Effort, Penn., who told them his son was in Monroe visiting a friend.

An officer tracked down the son, who said he was using the bag to transport cans to the bottle return and forgot it at the store.

Lt. Brian McCauley encourages residents who see something suspicious to report it, saying Thursday's incident fit the popular slogan at Metro-North: "If you see something, say something."

"We would rather investigate something that turns out to be of no concern, than not investigate something that could quite possibly turn out to be serious," he said.

Girl Plays with the Phone

An elderly Fresh Meadow Road couple called police Aug. 16 to complaint about receiving 12 phone calls from the same number between 5 and 6 p.m.

Police determined it was a local number from Jeannette Street and spoke to a woman there who apologized and said her six-year-old granddaughter may have been playing with the phone. The Fresh Meadow couple was satisfied with the explaination.

Happy Jack August 23, 2012 at 01:40 AM
Dear Editor - I have a serious question for you…… If you state that no arrested person(s) is guilty until so judged in a court of law then WHY would you print their names and addresses in the paper before convicted? Yes, you put “allegedly” BUT you still put their names and addresses so the WHOLE world can judge them for something they “allegedly” did. Then what happens when the charges are dropped, do you follow up with a rebuttal saying that Mrs. Smith from whatever town was NOT convicted of said crime that I reported on so and so date….. NO…. NEVER… There is NEVER a follow up to anything. So the rumors and the talking about Mrs. Smith will go on and on and this poor person(s) reputation is ruined. Not to mention that you NEVER take it down off your website…. I just am writing this to say you are WRONG and that I hope you will look further into this and correct your postings.
jim laguardia August 23, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Oh my, I had heard about Mrs. Smith that is terrible. I will never let my kids play with hers again at the park in Whatevertown.
G August 23, 2012 at 03:21 AM
I grew up in Whatevertown and Mrs. Smith was my 4th grade teacher and a wonderful lady. I have kept in touch with her over the years and there's no way she did any of the things she's being accused of doing. FREE Mrs. Smith ! FREE Mrs. Smith !
Happy Jack August 23, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Heard back from the editor, Bill Bittar - His response - Hello, I understand your argument. You make some valid points in my opinion. But if you look at any newspaper since both of us were born, names have always been used in police stories. It's the way I was taught to write as a young reporter 17 years ago and what my employers expect me to do now. If that ever changes, I will as well. Sincerely, Bill My response - understandable BUT I think there should be a follow up to each story. I think this should be brought to the attention of your boss(es) and if you cannot who should I direct my next email to? Thanks His response - The biggest obstacle to following up on every case is that Patch sites and most like it, as well as a large percentage of newspapers have only one writer per town, who can't constantly be in court with all of the stories they have to write. If someone who was arrested was cleared and wanted to share documentation, then I'm sure there would be no problem with running that though. To sum it all up.... After the court date the accused person should submit a letter telling the outcome and if indeed the accused is innocent then the paper should state that. THE END....
jim laguardia August 23, 2012 at 02:52 PM
That makes perfect sense... if the person accused wants to clear their name they should send the editor/writer a letter.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »