.

Monroe Congregational Church

Flag as Inappropriate

<p>Monroe Congregational Church was built on what is now the Monroe Green in 1847, but its roots run far deeper than that.</p>
<p>The town church was formed at the request of residents who petitioned the state government for it, because they had tired of making long winter journeys to Huntington Parish.</p> <p>Elizabeth Gray donated Beardsley Hall on Old Tannery Road to the church in 1886 in memory of her late husband, Dr. Edward M. Gray, a village physician.</p> <p>A few years later, a new parsonage was bought on the Green. The house is rented out to residential tenants.</p> <p>In 1956, the congregation outgrew church facilities and an early school building was bought at auction to expand Beardsley Hall. Then in 1967, ground was broke for Rexford House, which opened its doors in 1968.</p> <p>The church itself underwent an expansion in 1985. Pews were installed, a balcony was built, and a handicap entrance was added.</p> <p>Rev. Peter W. Allen is now Monroe Congregational's pastor and Rev. Jennifer M. Gingras is associate pastor.</p>
34 Church St, Monroe, CT 06468
(203) 268-9327
  • Fax: 203-268-3153
  • Fax: 818-591-2071
  • Accessibility Details: Ramp access
  • Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
  • Hours: Sunday services: 8:45am, 10:30am from Sept to June; also at 9am in July and August
  • Accessible: yes
Share a review or post about this business.
Posts awaiting your approval 0
Who wants to be the first to post?
See more »